Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Romney's Political Religion: Undermining Constitution

Gov. Mitt Romney appeared on Fox News Sunday (Feb. 27) with Chris Wallace. He said that, following Lincoln, he would proclaim his "political religion" as following the Constitution. With all due respect, we urge the Governor to re-read the Constitution he has sworn to uphold. And please note: The Court does not make law.

WALLACE: You know, it obviously is a very personal area, but I do want to pursue it a little bit, because, as you pointed out, in 1960, John Kennedy had to go before a group of ministers and talk about the fact that he wasn't going to take orders from the pope.

So let me ask you about the specific concerns that evangelicals have. They say that you believe in books of scripture that are outside the Bible, that the founder of the Mormon church, Joseph Smith, said that his was the only true faith.

So let me just ask you a couple of specific questions. Do you believe in the Book of Mormons and do you follow the tenets of Smith's religion?

ROMNEY: You know, I'm never going to get into a discussion about my personal beliefs and about particular doctrines of my church, and so forth. I'm very proud of my church. It was the church of my father, and his father, and his father before him.


But what I can say is this. And I go back to a speech that Abraham Lincoln made when he was 28 years old, the Lyceum Address, when he said that America has a political religion and that people who are elected to office subscribe to this political religion, which is to place the oath of office, an oath to abide by a nation of laws and the Constitution, above all others.


And there's no question that as I take the oath of office as governor, and have, that I make that my primary responsibility.
And you know, I don't think getting into any particular religion makes any sense for somebody who's serving the public.