Sunday, August 07, 2005

Queer Eye for Machiavelli??

The homosexual activists say we're obsessed with homosexuality. No -- It is they who see everything through their queer-eye lens. For example, a political philosophy course on Machiavelli at URI becomes a soapbox for queer theory, dirty talk, and Christian-bashing. This outrageous story by Nathaniel Nelson just appeared in David Horowitz's www.FrontPageMagazine.com. Read it and weep. And realize this is going on all in college classrooms all over the country, not just at URI.

Militant leftist professors have gone beyond hating America. Now, militant "gay" professors not only harass conservative students for their political views, but also get away with sexual and religious harassment as well. Excerpts:

“My name is Michael Vocino and I like d--k.”

These were the words spoken by my philosophy professor, Michael Vocino, as he introduced himself to our class the first day of his Political Philosophy course....


During the semester that followed, Professor Vocino made numerous sexual comments and gestures towards myself and other male members of the class. On the second day of class, Professor Vocino asked me, in front of the class, whether I was uncomfortable knowing that he thought that I was “hot.” I answered in the affirmative. Further along in the semester, as I entered the class with my shorts on, Professor Vocino noted that I had nice legs. To that, I responded that though they may be nice, they were unfortunately hairy.

A few times during the semester instead of giving the usual educational assignments, Professor Vocino asked me, and a few other male members, to try “making out” with other males and tell the class how it felt. While observing an outside student walk by the classroom with baggy-style jeans on, he offered that he wished men would wear tighter pants because he liked “bums.” Often Professor Vocino would ask members of the class for hugs. In fact, he did an “experiment” to see how people reacted to the intrusion on their personal space. This “experiment” consisted of class members standing as close as they could to each other. He ended the “experiment” with students, again mostly male and including myself, standing as close to him as they felt comfortable.

During the semester, Professor Vocino spent much time on the subject of sex, or in his words, “f---ing”, often asking students if they were sexually active; if so, how much, with who and when. It was a frequent occurrence for Professor Vocino to talk about “d--k” and all of the actions that one can do with said body member. It should be noted that one entire class was devoted to the topic of masturbation....


The most frequent criticism of my Christian belief was its position against homosexuality. At the time of the course, the debate over same-sex marriage was receiving much national attention, particularly in neighboring Massachusetts. As the designated Christian and conservative spokesperson in the class (and not always wanting the task), I was required to defend these positions. At one point, after finishing my explanation, Professor Vocino responded contemptuously, “What the f--k does it matter?”

As the semester progressed, I began to feel hated within the classroom. I found myself wanting to avoid class because I did not want to be attacked. I wondered about all the campus regulations which emphasized “diversity” and “sensitivity” to and respect for the Other. I wondered why these regulations didn’t apply to people’s hateful attitudes towards me.

The fear I experienced was intensified by Professor Vocino’s own attitudes towards me. He would often deliberately mischaracterize Christian beliefs in order to provoke me to respond. One such occurrence was when Professor Vocino asked me why I and other Christians “hate fags.” It took a lot of effort to explain why it is incorrect to state that Christians “hate fags.” My difficulty stemmed in part that I was a student and he was my professor. I was conscious of my lack of knowledge and experience, compared to his level of expertise in Biblical history and text. The fact that the accusations he was making were harsh and extreme increased my discomfort....


The student went to URI's Discrimination/Affirmative Action office and was told there was nothing that the office could do about the professor's behavior. Apparently, Professor Vocino is still teaching Machiavelli in this same manner.